• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jenet

Jenet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has a horse with the Streakin Six line has the same issues I have.

I was told the line is very laid back, almost lazy, which definitely describes my colt. He also has a very stubborn streak to him. It kinda frustrates me because I do get the comments all the time that bash him about his rather slow "I would rather sleep and eat" nature. That he won't make a good running horse, but I definitely have a lot of hope in him.

If you have a horses with the Streakin Six line can you tell me the personality and how your training went with your horse. Very curious!

#2 LisaQuincy

LisaQuincy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Interests:Horses

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:34 AM

The mare I'm riding that's in the Streakin Six line is quick, catty, and can run like theres no tomorrow. She sounds exactly opposite of your colt.

On the other hand I have a gelding, not out of Streakin Six, that is lazy and always cool and relaxed about everything, but send him at a barrel and he comes alive. He can run, yet he always calms right back down when we walk out of the gate. Laid back, doesn't mean they can't run. Good Luck with your colt!

[ 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: LisaQuincy ]

#3 msboa2003

msboa2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Rodeo, roping, barrels, extreme sports, fishing

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

I've never owned one so I really have no clue, but my friend had a roping horse and also a roping/barrel horse that were both Streakin Six grandsons and they were CRAZY hot and insane...so I think it depends.  I've NEVER heard that they were lazy so I thought it was the Streakin Six line that made them hot and wild, but maybe not!
   [Confused]      [Confused]  
   [Cool]
Wanted to say that even tho they were wild, they were awesome at both events!!!  very very FAST...vrooooom...

[ 03-27-2008, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: msboa2003 ]

#4 cowgirlbtd

cowgirlbtd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:barrel racing, trail ridding, softball, spending time with my family and friends

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

I have a Streakin Six colt that just turned 3. He is soooo laid back and could care less what you do to him.  He is so laid back I don't think he even cares or knows he is a stud b/c I stall him next to a mare and he doesn't do a thing.  He is currently for sale. Here is his bloodlines.
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sixes+bruiser

He was already broke when I bought him as a 2 yr old and she said that he was easy to break no buck or anything.  If he doesn't sale I'll be sending him off to be trained on barrels. I love this guy....he is just a sweet heart.    [Big Grin]

#5 lilcowgirl0301

lilcowgirl0301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

I have never had a streakin six but just I have broke enough colts to know that just because he is laid back..doesn't mean he wont run!! And honestly, at the end of the day, wouldn't you rather have one that a lil laid back than a flighty, got my head up, go go go horse? I have seen a lot of good Streakin Six horses that have been 1d & 2d horses.  [Smile]  Good luck with him!

P.S. Others are just being jealous!!  [Smile]

#6 msboa2003

msboa2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lilcowgirl0301:
I have never had a streakin six but just I have broke enough colts to know that just because he is laid back..doesn't mean he wont run!! And honestly, at the end of the day, wouldn't you rather have one that a lil laid back than a flighty, got my head up, go go go horse? I have seen a lot of good Streakin Six horses that have been 1d & 2d horses.   [Smile]   Good luck with him!

P.S. Others are just being jealous!!   [Smile]

Who's jealous and being mean in that jealous kind of way?  I said what I've seen...And I haven't seen a SS horse yet that can't run...laid back or not...I don't think anyone on here was being negative were they?  Just checking, because we all know that on email/blogs/posts, words look and seem different on screen than in real life...

#7 Jenet

Jenet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

msboa
I think she was commenting about me saying people have been some what bashing my colt due to his very laid back nature, saying that he won't make a barrel horse.

Thanks for the replies!

#8 lilcwgrll

lilcwgrll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

my horse is streakin six...he is very laid back but has tons of speed...he knows when to use it....he does have a stubborn side to!!

#9 msboa2003

msboa2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

Aaaahhhhh, just wanted some verification.  Thanks...  [Confused]    [Cool]

#10 RP

RP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,011 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

My coming 2 year old is a Streakin Six granddaughter (  pedigree ).. I obviously don't know how she is to ride yet, but she's been great with all her groundwork and everything.  Most of the time she's pretty laid back (but for all I know a lot of the personality could've come from her mom's side.. which is a lot different from her dad's!!) but she's definitely not lazy and loves to get out and run.  She's also really smart and picks up on things fast- which makes it hard because I'm running out of things to do with her and it'll still be awhile before I can ride her!!   [Confused]  lol

#11 luv2brlrace

luv2brlrace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

I have a 6yo grandson of streakin six who is the best horse I've ever owned.  He's a free runner and LOVES to run.  I just started pushing him in the last few months and he's won money in 2d, 3d, and 4d already.  He's smaller, only about 14.3 but I would not sell him for anything.  He is the most mild mannered, easy keeper, can do anything with him at all type horse.  I would buy 100 more if they were all like him.

#12 Three*C*Champs

Three*C*Champs

Love My Boys! And my Girl!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,477 posts
  • Interests:Barrel Racing, PCBRA & Gymkhana

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

The stallion we just had hauled here is Streakin Six. He hadn't been ridden since August so the first ride was rather lazy & stubborn, Defiantly had a Stubborn Streak! I think we got all of a 4 stride trot in and back to walk...stop...walk...stop. Frustrating! Now I'd say I've ridden him just under 10 times, and defiantly a big difference. Yes, he'd rather take is slow & easy, just his nature, but he is willing to do what is asked & get up and go when needed.

Both my two barrel horses are the "I'd rather eat & sleep" natures. Boy do they get mad if they're not fed on time or if they're interupted at nap time. However, when it's time to work, they'll get up and go. And neither of them are Streakin Six.

Edited to add: I started trotting the stud around the barrels for the heck of it...see what he needed to work, etc. In less than the 10 rides and the handful of times I've taken him around the pattern, he already knows it & looks for the next barrel. Seems to have very natural talent.

[ 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Three*C*Champs ]

#13 Jenet

Jenet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

three c champs
He sounds exactly like my colt. He is super smart, but very stubborn!

I have ridden him only 4 times now and each ride is getting better but man does it take alot of effort to get those feet movin!

Thanks for all the replies! I hear about the Streakin Six line being very laid back but one heck of a barrel horse so I am very excited!

#14 Alleyway

Alleyway

Thunder Lungs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

I had one. She was laid back and you could ride her bareback in a halter anywhere, even after a barrel run.

She ran on the track and had a 97 speed index.

She caught on to things fast and took to barrels naturally.

When you tell her to go, man she would go!

When you wanted to just play around and go slow, she would do that too.

Awesome mare. I want another Streakin Six horse!

#15 HORSESRME

HORSESRME

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:HORSES

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

this is a grandaughter of streakin six.she ant lazy but she has that i dont care to her.She is cold back which makes me so mad.I have to ride her 10mins sometime longer just get get her to act right.but she is a 1d barrel horse.I have a hafe mate to her same sire,now he is lazy.funny think with him is i have had him i say 3yrs and i have never been on him,he is trained and just need pushed.We had him trained and i have stoped riden so.i hope to show him and her this year.
 -

#16 Me & Runt Burnin It Up

Me & Runt Burnin It Up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts
  • Interests:rodeo, training horses, chior, what ever i feel like

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:22 AM

all the streking sixes i know are lazy unless they were bred to a hot headed runner type of horse. The one i have rode is very lazy and would rather sleep and eat you really have to push them, wake them up.