Importance of the rear cinch.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Farmall 706

The Farmall 706

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Antique Tractors!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

What exactly are they used for? What good are they during a run? Just how important are they?

And lastly, how do you spell "cinches"? I've seen people spelling it cinchAS latley. I've also seen it spelled "Cinches". lol   [Question]

#2 ShelbyLynn

ShelbyLynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Horses, photography, bowling, movies, riding, outdoors, animals, farms, etc.

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

I would guess in barrel racing, the reach cinch helps keep the saddle on when the back end of it goes up. Or if the horse starts bucking, the cinch will keep it closer to the back. That's all I can think of as to why a rear cinch is used  [Confused]  And I'm pretty sure it's cinches  [Wink]

#3 Equosamo

Equosamo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts
  • Interests:Duh! Horses...

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

Yep ShelbyLynn is right. It's spelled cinches and it is indeed mean't to keep the saddle closer to the horses back during a run or if the horse is bucking.

#4 Bumper

Bumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts
  • Interests:Barrel racing and bird dogs, the best of both worlds.

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:40 AM

The rear cinch helps stabilize the saddle but it's of absolutely no use if it's not snug. If you see a flank cinch hanging below the belly it's not doing anything but hanging around.

It's an english derivative of a Spanish word, "cinchas" is i believe the Spanish spelling. So both are correct.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#5 ShelbyLynn

ShelbyLynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Horses, photography, bowling, movies, riding, outdoors, animals, farms, etc.

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bumper:
The rear cinch helps stabilize the saddle but it's of absolutely no use if it's not snug. If you see a flank cinch hanging below the belly it's not doing anything but hanging around.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I understand what you're saying, but I thought it was supposed to be loose so it doesn't bother the horse? Hmmmm  [Question]  It makes sense, lol. I've just always seen it loose and thought it was supposed to be somewhat loose  [Duh]

#6 BarrelGuy

BarrelGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShelbyLynn:
quote:

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I understand what you're saying, but I thought it was supposed to be loose so it doesn't bother the horse? Hmmmm   [Question]   It makes sense, lol. I've just always seen it loose and thought it was supposed to be somewhat loose   [Duh]
Be careful that it is not too loose, like I see on many riders.  Some horses that have a long stride can actually get the rear feet up near the belly.  Don't want a hoof getting caught up in it that would make for a nasty spill.

#7 ShelbyLynn

ShelbyLynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:33 AM

Well not THAT loose. I was thinking more like 2-3 inches from the belly.

#8 vsnider

vsnider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:horses

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

Bumper is right it helps to stablize the saddle, I never ride without one, see too many pictures of people barrel racing with the butt end of the saddle up in the air.  Can you imagine all the pressure put on the shoulders at that point?  I have seen people with them so loose that their horses have actually gotten a foot hung up in them.  Mine are always snug, I can easily slip a finger under it.  Ropers keep them tight!  Always make sure they are attached to the front girth to keep from slipping back to far and you have to get your horse used to wearing one.  I know a lot of people that don't like them because they interfer with their spurs, or at least that is what they tell me.  You should get into the habit of that being the last thing you hook up and the first one you unhook when tacking and untacking.

#9 The Farmall 706

The Farmall 706

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Antique Tractors!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vsnider:
Bumper is right it helps to stablize the saddle, I never ride without one, see too many pictures of people barrel racing with the butt end of the saddle up in the air.  Can you imagine all the pressure put on the shoulders at that point?  I have seen people with them so loose that their horses have actually gotten a foot hung up in them.  Mine are always snug, I can easily slip a finger under it.  Ropers keep them tight!  Always make sure they are attached to the front girth to keep from slipping back to far and you have to get your horse used to wearing one.  I know a lot of people that don't like them because they interfer with their spurs, or at least that is what they tell me.  You should get into the habit of that being the last thing you hook up and the first one you unhook when tacking and untacking.

Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to learn about all the tack I use before I put it on the horse. My new saddle fits my horse's shoulders nicley, although it's a tad wide in the back. I considered the back cinch as a way to keep the back end of the saddle from rolling up during a run.

I bought a nylon cinch a few days ago. Instead of using the nylon flank billets that came with it, I'm using a pair of leather ones that I obtained from one of my older saddles. Unfortunatly, the origonal cinch to the leather set had been lost. Don't worry, I DO have the little connector strap to attach to the front cinch.  

Is nylon alright? It's only the actual cinch that's nylon.

As far as keeping it snug, you bet I will.   [Razz]  I'll try to keep it resonable for my horse's sake.

Thanks for the input guys.   [Smiley Wavey]

#10 Bumper

Bumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

quote:
quote:

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I understand what you're saying, but I thought it was supposed to be loose so it doesn't bother the horse? Hmmmm   [Question]   It makes sense, lol. I've just always seen it loose and thought it was supposed to be somewhat loose   [Duh]
If it's loose, what function does it serve? If it's loose the saddle can lift up in back, which isn't bad...but when that saddle comes back DOWN it can be painful for the horse. Which is why it should be snug, so it CAN'T lift.

2-3 inches is enough slack that a horse kicking at a fly can get a foot stuck in the flank cinch. Ever see THAT wreck? I have....very not pretty.

If a horse is bothered by the feel of a flank cinch they either need to get accustomed to it or are too sensitive to use one. Usually the first option.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#11 ShelbyLynn

ShelbyLynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

quote:
quote:

quote:

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I understand what you're saying, but I thought it was supposed to be loose so it doesn't bother the horse? Hmmmm    [Question]    It makes sense, lol. I've just always seen it loose and thought it was supposed to be somewhat loose    [Duh]  
If it's loose, what function does it serve? If it's loose the saddle can lift up in back, which isn't bad...but when that saddle comes back DOWN it can be painful for the horse. Which is why it should be snug, so it CAN'T lift.

2-3 inches is enough slack that a horse kicking at a fly can get a foot stuck in the flank cinch. Ever see THAT wreck? I have....very not pretty.

If a horse is bothered by the feel of a flank cinch they either need to get accustomed to it or are too sensitive to use one. Usually the first option.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I wasn't disagreeing...I was just saying that I didn't know/wasn't sure.

#12 barrelracer17

barrelracer17

Genuine Redhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,152 posts
  • Interests:Horses, rodeo, dancing....

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Ditto to EVERYTHING Bumper said.  

Takes pressure off the shoulders.
Stabilizes the saddle.
Prevents lower back soreness.
Prevents potential bucking/misbehavior due to saddle slamming back repeatedly.  

=]

#13 futurenfrchampion

futurenfrchampion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

quote:
Be careful that it is not too loose, like I see on many riders. Some horses that have a long stride can actually get the rear feet up near the belly. Don't want a hoof getting caught up in it that would make for a nasty spill.
just curious... whenever i have my back cinch tightened and i've been riding for awhile i see that it creeps forward and doesn't really stay where it should. Any ideas on why its doing that or if this happens to anybody else? kinda making my own post here but thought it kinda went w/ the conversation. thanks  [Smiley Wavey]    [Big Grin]

#14 Bumper

Bumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:25 AM

quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I understand what you're saying, but I thought it was supposed to be loose so it doesn't bother the horse? Hmmmm     [Question]     It makes sense, lol. I've just always seen it loose and thought it was supposed to be somewhat loose     [Duh]  

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I wasn't disagreeing...I was just saying that I didn't know/wasn't sure.
Sorry, i was typing in a hurry because i had to leave and was a bit brief. Didn't mean to come off quite like i did.  [Wink]

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#15 ShelbyLynn

ShelbyLynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

Oh, it's ok. Thank you for clearing that up!   [Smile]

#16 msboa2003

msboa2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Rodeo, roping, barrels, extreme sports, fishing

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by futurenfrchampion:
quote:
Be careful that it is not too loose, like I see on many riders. Some horses that have a long stride can actually get the rear feet up near the belly. Don't want a hoof getting caught up in it that would make for a nasty spill.
just curious... whenever i have my back cinch tightened and i've been riding for awhile i see that it creeps forward and doesn't really stay where it should. Any ideas on why its doing that or if this happens to anybody else? kinda making my own post here but thought it kinda went w/ the conversation. thanks   [Smiley Wavey]      [Big Grin]
I've seen that with fat hay belly horses and wormy bellied horses...LOL, not that yours is, maybe it's not, but I don't have that issue, I cinch my back cinch tight enough that I can slip my four fingers under it snugly for barrels, any tighter and my mare feels like she can't breathe and she forgets to run... But 2-3 inches is waaaayyy too loose!

#17 Cowboybaby*

Cowboybaby*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Barrel racing, rideing and anything that has to do with a horse!

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

I was always tought that you should be able to put two fingers between the Cinch and the bellie.  [Big Grin]   Just thought I would put that out there.  [Wink]

#18 futurenfrchampion

futurenfrchampion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

well my mare did have a little belly this winter and was really really fluffy so maybe that had something to do with it. I will definetlely do the 4finger test though to see how tight i've been going and do that from now on to keep it accurate. Thanks so much!!  [Smiley Wavey]