Horse is dodging 2nd barrel

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:I'll try almost anything with my Horses, but the main things I do are Barrel Racing, Gymkhanas, Pole Bending, and training for Reining.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:23 PM

I was at a show yesterday (Saturday) and my horse had an amazing (RIGHT) first barrel, came off it, and headed right towards the right side of the second barrel. Normally, I do the whole right, left, left kind of run, but he just completely came off the first and almost seemed to veer off going towards the fence on the wrong side of the barrel once we got near the second. Okay, so I thought it was the bumper spurs, and me shifting my weight wrong. So, in the second run, I took off my spurs and he had a MAJORLY wide first barrel, tried to dodge again, but I whaled on him with that left leg keeping him over, and then the third was horrible. Ran a 17.7 when he's normally running 16.4's. I don't know if he's getting sour on the barrels? It's his first year at this (Was trained like 3 years ago) and I have been running barrels a bit much, but we're going to the Colonial National in August so I want to prepare, but I just don't want him going sour! He's also refusing to load in the trailer, and getting a bit gate sour. Any tips to work on this?

#2 Racin 4 Dreams

Racin 4 Dreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

YOUR HORSE IS SORE! Please dont WALE on him... he is trying to tell you he hurts by not getting in the trailer... get him to a great lameness vet and chiro! please!!

#3 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:I'll try almost anything with my Horses, but the main things I do are Barrel Racing, Gymkhanas, Pole Bending, and training for Reining.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

How is he hurt? By "whaling" on him, I mean I pushed him over hard with my left leg to get him over. If he was sore, he'd be off. And he's been to a lot of shows, and he sort-of refused getting in the trailer at the last show, so I doubt he's lame.

[ 07-13-2008, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Cremello ]

#4 sugarbabe.

sugarbabe.

Kickin' Butt / Takin Names!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • Interests:God, my family[including the four legged members.] , and RODEO.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

It sounds to me like he's sore. . All of the soreness signs are there. He doesnt want to load in the trailer, hes getting alley sour. 99.9% of the time a horse has these problems, he or she is sore. Take him to the vet. Get him checked out. You said you've been hauling a lot.. Barrel racing puts strain on a horses joints. Maybe it hurts him to load. If you TRULY want to help your horse and get down to the bottom of this, go get him checked from a vet and eliminate all soreness or ulcers.

I had a mare a few years ago, did the same things as your horse, turns out she was pretty dang sore on her front right. Got that taken care of and she went to winning on a whole new level. I didnt think she was sore, but I wanted to be absolutely positive that wasnt an issue before I started really working on her.

We're giving you the advice, take it or leave it.

#5 Racin 4 Dreams

Racin 4 Dreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

please trust me... my frist horse that ducked second had a really sore back - lots of chiro and time off... my second mare started ducking this season and has inflamation on her shin and needs time off...

they dont just pull crap for the fun of it...

#6 Bumper

Bumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts
  • Interests:Barrel racing and bird dogs, the best of both worlds.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

It's not always a lameness issue. This horse is sore. Back, knees, hocks (most likely), something. Get xrays of the joints and see what you come up with. Goodluck.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#7 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

So should I just give him a week off and have the vet come check him for soreness? He's on joint supplements for maintinence (sp?)  And he was on accel but I took him off it before. It is his first year of hauling so I'd rather have him ready to go.

#8 Maskmeashadow

Maskmeashadow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Horse and Rabbit Showing, 4-H(though I don't like it), Dogs, Rats,Reptiles, etc.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

This will help with ducking the second barrel(it helped me on my filly) -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=upLg6jXtHEY

As for the gate sour and not trailer loading, keep his mind fresh. Have him load in the trailer give him a treat after he gets in and then let him relax for a few minutes in there and then unload him and return him to pasture or stall without it. If you are hauling another horse haul him to and don't work him. He automatically is associating the trailer with having to do hard work. When doing this it will keep him guessing on what he is doing and not just assuming it is a barrel race. On being gate sour, if you have a field or something near where you are riding do your work out there and then go to the arena walk in and do some slow work. Return the next day start off with slow work in the field and then do the fast or more strenuous work in the arena. Walk out of it and walk back into it, then cool him down and loosen the cinch in there to end the ride. Keep doing it. I run my filly on barrels at least 3 times a week and almost everyday if the weather allows it. I try to take it easy on a few of those days which will also help me for the next ride. She doesn't have a problem with it and I have done it for over a month or 2.

I haven't watched this video but I assume it might work too-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5bfM6MzxCy0

#9 HolleysRider010

HolleysRider010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:Barrel racing :)

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Racin 4 Dreams:
YOUR HORSE IS SORE! Please dont WALE on him... he is trying to tell you he hurts by not getting in the trailer... get him to a great lameness vet and chiro! please!!

Just because her horse ducked a barrel once doesn't automatically mean the horse is sore and she's whaling on him.

You have to look at it from other points of view, There is a very good possibility that it is soreness.. but it also could be your horse is getting sour.. I would get a vet check for soreness, and if thats not the issue, then slow things down and go on some trail rides and do a lot of mellow riding. Good luck!  [Smiley Wavey]

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:52 AM

I agree on checking just to rule out soreness issue.But I  believe this is a green issue.
My 7yr mare is in her 3rd season of barrels. The first season She started ducking off the 2nd barrel.  It took just 2 runs to make this a habbit with her.  Just 2 times. So I have spent a year and a half breaking this habbit.  The video link to you tube given gives great tips.  I watched a couple more from this lady, and liked her information that she was giving out.  
What I did to break this habbit.  I had to be prepared each time I ran for her to dart off.  I looked to the right of my spot sometimes it felt like I was looking almost to the third barrel just to get her inline, and had to pull her over. My frame of mind was your getting to that spot if I have to drag your behind there.. I had to be aggressive, had to be a stronger rider.
Blew alot of runs, but now she knows she is going to that barrel. Good Luck..
Also a tip I have read several times on these bulletins.  Treat each run as just another barrel race. You could be at the Colonial Nationals, but put it in the " Just another barrel race" catagory.. This will keep you calmer. Which translates to your horse.
Good Luck

#11 Racin 4 Dreams

Racin 4 Dreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HolleysRider010:
quote:
Originally posted by Racin 4 Dreams:

Just because her horse ducked a barrel once doesn't automatically mean the horse is sore and she's whaling on him.

You have to look at it from other points of view, There is a very good possibility that it is soreness.. but it also could be your horse is getting sour.. I would get a vet check for soreness, and if thats not the issue, then slow things down and go on some trail rides and do a lot of mellow riding. Good luck!   [Smiley Wavey]

all the years ive been doing it and all the horses i've trained... they dont just get sour -- as long as you make it fun... and you're right... if this horse isnt sore (which I doubt) you need some new training methods - they gotta love their job.

#12 Bumper

Bumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts
  • Interests:Barrel racing and bird dogs, the best of both worlds.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

You need to look at it this way.

If this horse is sore, hurting, in pain, and you try to train the problem away, you make it worse.

Always rule out pain issues first. if the horse was only ducking the barrel, i'd say green is the main issue. But he's gate sour and not liking the trailer...big red flags here.

You didn't say how old this horse was or give any other details, so with the given information, soreness is the very first thing that should be chcked out. He's telling you something...you need to listen.

If he's not sore, if his hocks and knees and stifles are ok, then you look to a training issue, back up to slow work, go back to basics, and fix the problem. But the xrays are never wasted because you have solid evidence of his joints.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#13 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

Well, Ice is turning 10 July 25th. He got trained for Barrels in 05' and I just got him in october and he's been at my barn ever since he was a foal, and the lady never ran him ever since he got trained. I can admit that I run him a lot each week, and when I first started this year, I barely practiced at home, and he was doing fine.

But, I am getting a vet check just to make sure he's fine, but we do have a npba show in two weeks, so he's going to have about a week off just to cool off.

He did bump his head on the trailer that morning while refusing to load, and the trailer is a stock trailer that HAD the plastic covers on the slots in the back, so we took them off cause he was insanely sweaty when we got to the show.

#14 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Maskmeashadow:
This will help with ducking the second barrel(it helped me on my filly) -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=upLg6jXtHEY

As for the gate sour and not trailer loading, keep his mind fresh. Have him load in the trailer give him a treat after he gets in and then let him relax for a few minutes in there and then unload him and return him to pasture or stall without it. If you are hauling another horse haul him to and don't work him. He automatically is associating the trailer with having to do hard work. When doing this it will keep him guessing on what he is doing and not just assuming it is a barrel race. On being gate sour, if you have a field or something near where you are riding do your work out there and then go to the arena walk in and do some slow work. Return the next day start off with slow work in the field and then do the fast or more strenuous work in the arena. Walk out of it and walk back into it, then cool him down and loosen the cinch in there to end the ride. Keep doing it. I run my filly on barrels at least 3 times a week and almost everyday if the weather allows it. I try to take it easy on a few of those days which will also help me for the next ride. She doesn't have a problem with it and I have done it for over a month or 2.

I haven't watched this video but I assume it might work too-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5bfM6MzxCy0

Thanks.
Yeah, I think I was just running him straight to it, since he can just sit down, turn and go, but I'll start using those!

#15 sugarbabe.

sugarbabe.

Kickin' Butt / Takin Names!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • Interests:God, my family[including the four legged members.] , and RODEO.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cremello:
Well, Ice is turning 10 July 25th. He got trained for Barrels in 05' and I just got him in october and he's been at my barn ever since he was a foal, and the lady never ran him ever since he got trained. I can admit that I run him a lot each week, and when I first started this year, I barely practiced at home, and he was doing fine.

But, I am getting a vet check just to make sure he's fine, but we do have a npba show in two weeks, so he's going to have about a week off just to cool off.

He did bump his head on the trailer that morning while refusing to load, and the trailer is a stock trailer that HAD the plastic covers on the slots in the back, so we took them off cause he was insanely sweaty when we got to the show.

Since you've been running a lot, it could go either way-soreness or sourness, or maybe a little of both. But its best to eliminate soreness/ulcers first, so you dont make it worse by continuing running or tuning.

Good luck at the vet. I hope you get everything figured out!

#16 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

Thanks.
Yeah, he's definitely getting the week off.
To clear his mind, and give him a chance to get all soreness out of the way, the shoer comes wed. and the vet will come whenever i get the chance to call haha.

#17 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

Ok, back from the barn. The loading issue was that he was always trailered with another horse in front of him, and was nervous about being right up on that wall. Put another horse in, and he loaded like a dream. Took the horse out, and he refused.

#18 WhereIsMySock

WhereIsMySock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Horses

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

quote:
Ok, back from the barn. The loading issue was that he was always trailered with another horse in front of him, and was nervous about being right up on that wall. Put another horse in, and he loaded like a dream. Took the horse out, and he refused.

Hehe. I have one of those. It'll just take time. for him to get used to the new spot. I can take the lead off and point my mare to a trailer with a horse already in it and she walks right in. But it takes a little coaxing loading her alone because it's never been her "spot" since we only recently started hauling her alone. Practice with him when you can. Lunge him outside when he doesn't load and when he does reward him with rest in the trailer and give him a treat. Then turn him back out. He'll get used to it.

I think your dodging problem could be habitual related. You run the barrels a lot and like Alum'srider said, it only takes a couple times for a horse to start making something a habit. Slow work definitely keeps them in tune. Even take away the barrels and practice on just leg yielding alone in the arena/pasture.

It won't hurt to rule out soreness like everyone is saying. I would highly recommend giving him a nice liniment bath after a barrel race or hard workout, too. They're great. Good luck!

#19 Ladybrlracer

Ladybrlracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Horses and My dogs (Aussies, Dobies and Blue heelers)

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

I ran into this sorta problem with my Barrel Mare and come to find out it was Navicular (caused by the way she was being trimmed) Refusing to go into the gate, didn't want to go through the alley... but once she was on the way she was gone.. never refused. Got her a real ferrier and a good vet and she hasn't been sore or had a problem in years.  [Jump]  
I have an older gelding that i bought because he was refusing to go right... His right hock hurts alot so i have to go very slow and keep him feeling good.  

Laura

#20 TimeToShine

TimeToShine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:Reining, Barrel racing, Pole bending, Cutting

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:09 AM

quote:
If he was sore, he'd be off. And he's been to a lot of shows, and he sort-of refused getting in the trailer at the last show, so I doubt he's lame.

Being sore does not mean he will be lame. Whether it be mucsle or joint related, I can't be sure. He could even need some chiro work.