5 replies to this topic

#1 CruisinBarrels

CruisinBarrels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Riding, running barrels, rodeo

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

I am starting to ride my barrel horse again because he was laid off due to an injury and I wanted to know some ideas to get himback in shape? What kind of exercises do you suggest???

#2 qheventer

qheventer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts
  • Interests:Rodeo Ministry, Barrels, WP & HUS, trail riding

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

What was the injury?

The biggest thing is to take it slow. Walking and trotting up hills is great to get one back into shape. Lots of transitions also help to get the balance back as well as building muscle. I like to pony a lot as well.

I don't deserve a thing but I still get to live at Fairweather Farm!

#3 ArBensMusic

ArBensMusic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Jumpers, Hunters, Equitation<br /><br />also for next county fair, Barrel racing, pole bending, and reining.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

I like what QHeventer suggested. If you have a hotwalker at the stable, you could also put him on it for a while everyday. Also just riding him as often as possible (but make sure you do easy work at first). My mare was fat and out of shape, and in only one week (I rode for about 30 minutes everyday just lots of walking and jogging) I could see an improvement, she had lost weight and gained a bunch of muscle. Not to mention, if you get them working on a shedule, stay on it, becuase after that week of riding her I took a week (and a couple days) off and came back, she was fat again, and had lost some of the muscle she had worked up  duh.gif. So like I said stay on the scheldule, but some horses do take longer to gain and lose muscle and fat. So That is really the only help I can give you, but I hope that it did help!

Proud owner of
Arbens Music: (AKA Abbey) 12 year old Chestnut Sabino Arabian Mare ~ She does everything, and shes good at it too!! Newest thing is barrels, and I acctually think we are going to be competitive in 4-H, we'll never win, but we will probably get a time in the 20's, which is good enough for me.
And
Mr. District Attourney (AKA Happy) 14 year old ASB Gelding  ~ Saddleseat Pleasure, Indiana Saddle-Type Halter Gelding Grand Champion for 2008.

"Good Judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from bad judgement." ~ carhartthoney (youtube)

#4 okhorselover

okhorselover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

I am a long trotting fan. But I don't know your horse's injury. Ask your vet about long trotting straight lines. It really helps to build your horse up.

#5 barrelracer17

barrelracer17

Genuine Redhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,152 posts
  • Interests:Horses, rodeo, dancing....

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

Lots of walking and trotting.  And riding everyday will help.  =]
Pippi Longstocking

"...they told me to be myself and myself was nervous."
-Dave Matthews-

#6 dixieangel02

dixieangel02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:I love to barrel race..work cattle..trail ride and breed and train horses..My whole life revolves around them. I am also in school getting my RN license. I like to ride up on the mountain and just sit there with my soon to be hubby Marshall and drink a few and just chill out and relax. We also raise production chicken (laying hens) and we are currently trying to get into the hog bussness

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

the same thing has happened to me three times in the past 2yrs...with my barrel mare i at first started taking her for SLOW trrail rides for fifteen twenty minutes a day working our way up to an hour or so. then i started to do arena work with her...loping turning doing simple manuvers....figure eights....turn backs...lead changes....Then when i thought she was ready which was about a month later i brought out the barrels and would walk, jog, lope around them for about a week i done that then once a week i would work her tequnique on other days and teaching her other things...then after about two weeks of that i started doing her like i did before she got hurt Rodeos every weekend and trail rides....barrel work at home it just takes time to get a horse back in shape it took my mare two months to get back to it but its worth taking the extra time in the long run
6YR OLD PAINT QH/ DIXIE ANGEL (TWO EYED JACK BRED) BARREL HORSE
3YR OLD BAY QH/ LITTLE BAY BETSY (DOC BAR BRED) BARREL PROSPECT
19 YR OLD BAY QH RAH RAH ROSEMANT (HANCOCK BRED) TEAM PENNING
10 YR OLD BELGIAN/  OLE CLYDE USED FOR FARM WORK AND WAGON PULLING

3 BARRELS

2 HEARTS

1 PASSION

CRYSTAL AND MARSHALL BAILEY
WILDCAT MOUNTAIN FARMS
BARNARDSVILLE, NC